Compare database results
With SQL DataTool you can compare MS SQL databases from multiple servers. You can also compare Azure SQL databases with the schema of your local database. SQL DataTool compares the following objects within a SQL database:
- Schema and underlying objects
- Tables underlying columns
- Columns, data type and primary keys
- Views and the complete script of the view
- Stored procedure and the complete script of the procedure
When the comparison of the databases has been finished, the results will be shown in the table on the screen.
The results of comparing two databases are easy to understand. SQL DataTool makes use of three colors:
- Green: No differences are identified between the source and the target database.
- Orange: Differences are identified in either the value of the database or the underlying objects (e.g. column) of the object differ
- Red: The object (e.g. table, column or view) does not exist in either the source or target database.
To make it easier to identify the differences, you can apply the following filters:
Show differences only
When checking the checkbox 'Show differences only', only the objects will be visible that cause or contain a difference. For example, when the datatype of a column within a table differs between the two databases, SQL DataTool will show the complete 'path' to that difference. This way, you can easily identify the reason and location of the difference between databases.
The drop down 'Show objects' allows you to filter the objects that you want to review. If you are only interested in the users that have access to the databases, you can easily filter on the object 'Users'. When checking the 'Show differences only' checkbox, you will only retrieve the differences between the databases of that specific object (in this case the 'Users').